Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Stephenie Meyer Initially Thought Saoirse Ronan Was Too Young to Play Melanie/Wanderer

If you've read The Host (and if you haven't, get started!!), you'll remember the characters of Melanie/Wanda, Jared, and Ian are slightly older than their cinematic counterparts. That being the case, it was a little surprising to hear that, then 17-year-old, Saoirse Ronan would be taking on the lead role. While Stephenie Meyer has nothing but wonderful things to say about Ronan now, she was initially hesitant about the young actress taking on the duel roles of Melanie and Wanderer.
"I said, I think that she's too young. They said, go watch Hanna and then let's talk about it. And I watched Hanna and then I was like, 'Oh, I totally get it. We have to have her.'"
"I'd seen [Saoirse] play very vulnerable roles, so I knew she could do that part of it but I hadn't see her play a warrior. And not only did she play it, she owned it. I saw that and thought, 'Oh my gosh, she can do anything. She's unbelievably talented." 
Cineplex will have their entire interview with Stephenie Meyer available soon.

Source

No comments:

Post a Comment